- Facebook was launched by Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg on February 4 2004. It was initially called The Facebook.
- Initially membership was limited to Harvard University students but, with growing popularity, it spread to other universities. Since September 11 2006 it has been accessible to anyone with an e- mail address.
- Facebook has 42-million members worldwide: 87 000 of those are from South Africa.
- Eight and a half million pictures are uploaded onto Facebook daily.
- Sixty-seven percent of Facebook users visit the website every single day.
- From September 2006 to September 2007 Facebook increased its ranking from 60 to seven as the most-visited website in the world.
- The company is valued at 10 billion and has more than 300 staff members.
- Microsoft forked out 240million for a 1.6% stake in the company recently.
- Facebook’s weekly revenue currently sits at 1.5million.
- In August this year 22-million of the 26-million people who visited Facebook signed up to use the social networking site.
:: ada2aje at facebook
Related post: facebook, fact, info, social, network